Escalator Programme -
Creating leaders in New Zealand agriculture.
The 10-month Escalator programme develops current and future leaders with the skills and capabilities to govern and lead rural organisations, farming businesses and communities.
Involving small numbers with the ability to make a big impact, Escalator builds on and enhances skills women have accumulated within their businesses and communities. The programme teaches the ‘what you need’ but more importantly it teaches the ‘how you do it’.
Through the programme, women gain greater confidence and ability in:
- governance and leadership
- financial/commercial understanding for business
- negotiation, collaboration, influencing
- critical thinking, thinking differently in order to get new results
- working as part of a team and finding strengths within it
Four key programme components
- Five intensive two or three-day modules in Wellington every two months
- A distance learning programme that cements the module experience
- Mentoring from an expert a chosen field
- Cohort development
Understanding Your Farming Business
Engaging women as critical farming partners
Understandin Your Farming Business (UYFB) aims to better engage farming women as critical partners in their farming businesses through building business knowledge, skills and confidence. Early evaluations show that business changes being initiated by women on the programme could add up to $20,000 profit to the farm bottom line. UYFB is for women involved in a sheep and beef farming business wishing to have a greater understanding of their business drivers and seeking the skills and confidence to participate more in their businesses.
In a relaxed and supportive environment participants will explore:
- the key drivers and language of their farming business
- how to measure farm performance and potential
- key financial documents and how to find and assess the information they want
- who’s on their trusted team
- business planning to improve farm performance
- the value they can add as a more engaged critical farming partner and how to do it