Closing Date: 17 Sep 2022
Offered By: Te Pūtea Whakatupu Trust
Study Level: Postgraduate
Study Area: Seafood
Open to Māori professionals seeking to pursue excellence in the Oceans sector.
The Tonganui scholarship was established to accelerate talented, Māori professionals in the pursuit of excellence in the Oceans sector. It is a one-off grant of $10,000 NZD towards an educational or training programme or qualification, or a programme of research to advance tikanga Māori, Mātauranga Māori and Te Ao Māori within the Oceans sector.
The scholarships aim to:
- Foster and grow an active and reciprocal relationship with Tangaroa and Hinemoana.
- Accelerate talented and committed Māori to pursue excellence in the oceans sector
- Advance kaupapa and Mātauranga Māori within western management and knowledge systems pertaining to the oceans
- Strengthen the presence of Māori experts throughout the oceans sector; from decision making to conservation, from innovation to research.
- Strengthen Ngāi Māori’s ability to meaningfully influence and guide the future direction of the Oceans sector.
- Strengthen the adoption of and advocacy for Te Ao Māori, tikanga and mātauranga throughout the oceans sector.
Successful Tonganui Scholarship applicants must:
- be at least 22 years old at the time of application
- have whakapapa Māori
- have 4 years or equivalent experience in the oceans sector, including but not limited to:
- Policy and regulations
- Science and research
- Commercial or operational (including start-ups, Mandated Iwi Organisations or fisheries and aquaculture companies)
- Conservation, biosecurity and resource management
- Propose a programme that meets the requirements of the Tonganui Scholarship